Tuesday 4 June 2013

Spicy lentil soup - Sopa de lentejas rojas 'picante'

Spicy red lentil soup - Sopa de lentejas rojas picante


"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."

Mahatma Gandhi


When I cook this amazing warm and homely soup, I always think that such a tiny amount of spice can go a long way. I love lentils, but before this soup, I  used to eat them on more consistent casseroles, together with rice and meat.  I haven't cooked much with celery before. This recipe will be fine with all the ingredients itself, a lovely soup, but that amount of spice really makes a change, it just add that interesting touch... a personality.

When I meet someone that has a unique personality, or who is not afraid of being themselves, I always think of them as people that add "spice" to the world. We are all different, but sometimes we just want to be like other people, and we loose our "uniqueness" and deprive the world of our "spice". It mainly happened to me when I was a teenager and was very insecure about how "to be", I wanted to be accepted by my peers and placed enormous importance on their opinions of me. Luckily teenager years  are far behind, and I am now a confident woman:) it also happened when I moved to this country, as I was not sure of how to fit how to make friends... but today England is my second home,  I have many amazing friends and my spicy self is back.

When you cook this soup, when you are adding the chili powder, think that the pan is your world and that chili powder is your personality, giving your life and people that surround you that touch of spice.

Ingredients
5 spray low-fat cooking spray
1 medium onion (peeled & chopped)
2 stick celery (sliced)
1/4 tea spoon chilli powder
50 g. dried split red lentils
1 portion stock cube (900 cc)
2 table spoon tomato puree
400 g. canned tomatoes
2 sprig fresh Rosemary

First spray oil (5 times) on a pan. Fry onion and celery 5 minutes.Add garlic and chilli and fry for another 5 minutes. Add stock, tomato sauce and tomato puree. Add salt if necessary and pepper. Add the lentils and bring to boil slow fire 12 to 15 min. I like this soup very smooth, so once ready I place it all in my blender for 30 seconds. Delicious!!

"Debes ser el cambio que quieres ver en el mundo"

Mahatma Gandhi


Cuando me pongo a cocinar esta sopa tan divina y hogareña, pienso que un pequeño toque de "picante" puede hacer una diferencia asombrosa en el sabor. Yo amo las lentejas, pero antes de esta sopa, solía comerlas en platos más contundentes con arroz y carne. No había utilizado apio en la cocina tampoco. Esta receta así como está, sin el ají, esta muy bien. Pero esa pequeña cantidad de ají le agrega un toque de personalidad, y le hace mucho más interesante.

Cuando encuentro a alguien que tiene una personalidad original, o que no tienen miedo de ser ellos mismos, los considero gente "con picante". Somos todos distintos pero a veces queremos ser como otra gente, y perdemos nuestra originalidad, privándole al mundo de nuestro "ají molido". Me ocurría cuando era una adolescente y era muy insegura acerca de cómo debía ser. Quería ser aceptada por mis pares y su opinión sobre mí era extremadamente importante. Por suerte, esos años han quedado muy atrás. También me ocurrió cuando me mudé a este país, no sabía como "encajar" pero hoy Inglaterra es mi segundo hogar, tengo amigos increíbles y volví a mi original esencia "picante".

Cuando cocines esta sopa, al momento de agregar el ají molido, piensa que la cacerola es tu mundo y que tu personalidad única es el polvo picante, que da un toque mágico a tu vida y  a quienes te rodean.

Ingredientes
5 aceite de 1 caloria en spray
1 cebolla mediana (pelada y cortada)
2 tallos de apio (cortados)
1/4 cucharadita de aji molido
50 g. lentejas rojas secas
1 porción de caldo (puede ser verduras o de pollo)
2 cucharadas de pure de tomate
400 g. tomate en lata
2 ramitas de romero

Primeramente rociar con el aceite de 1 caloría 5 veces (o alternativamente poner un chorrito de aceite). Fritar la cebolla y el apio por 5 minutos. Agrear el ajo y el aji molido y fritar por 5 minutos más. Agregar caldo, salsa de tomate y pure de tomate. Agregar sal si es necesario y pimienta. Agregar las lentejas y hervir en fuego lento por 12 o 15 minutos. Yo prefiero esta sopa con consistencia suave, entonces una vez lista la pongo en la licuadora por 30 segundos. Riquísima!

No comments:

Post a Comment